Teaching Manifesto

I'm trying to decide what I would like to say to my students on the first day of classes that communicates my love of reading and teaching, my expectation that they will take responsibility for their learning and my belief that becoming better readers can literally change their lives.  Not that I would necessarily actually communicate this with them. . .it's just an idea at this stage. Work in progress. . .

I want everyone to write down your goals for this class. By the end of the semester I will . . . what?  How do you intend to achieve those goals. Write that down too.


1)      I start today with the belief that all of you want to be here because you know that meaning making is a powerful tool and you want to develop that skill. As the semester progresses, it may become apparent that in some cases I'm wrong and your mom made you come or you don't really think making meaning out of what you read matters or that texting is far more important. Some of you may find yourselves on the phone or texting because it is such a habit so I will remind you to join us instead. Every semester I watch struggling students dig themselves a hole because they do not pay attention, they are distracted, they talk with their neighbors instead of working on their assignments. And I don't how to help them if they do not really want to help themselves. Ultimately, each of you is your own teacher--I'm here to provide you with options, to open doors and show you what's on the other side,  you can add to your own teaching tool kit or not, as the case may be. But, you have to decide to do so. I think these tools are important and I've given a lot of thought to them or I wouldn't take the time to share them with you. But whether and how you use or don't use them is up to you. 

What you learn is your choice. If you are confused and don't raise your hand, I can't help you. If you don't come to class or come late and miss an explanation or practice for an assignment and then do poorly, there isn't much I can do about that. But you can. You can ask questions, you can come to class, you can be on time, you can put away your cell phone and you can be engaged.  If you decide that you aren't going to take responsibility in this class to develop your own teaching skills, I have to adapt the course to account for that belief so it does not detract from the students who do want to make meaning effectively and that may mean that you will be put in groups with others with a similar agenda to yours.

On the first day I want to share a couple of really important tools with you:
Write stuff down. Some of you may not be sure just what it is your supposed to write down but do it anyway. Write down anything I say, anything you hear, anything you read. You will learn more about everything if you write stuff down.
Show up and be present. Engage, disagree, raise your hand! Speak up.
Turn in your work. All of it. Everything we do in class even if it isn't finished, even if it isn't great, even if you aren't sure you did it right. Turn it in!

Comments

Popular Posts